Hello Wednesday Hodgepodgers!
1. Chinese New Year will be celebrated on February 10th, and 2013 is the year of the snake. When did you last see a snake? Are you okay around snakes or do they give you the shivers?
I was born in the year of the Snake. I am not their biggest fans. In Australia I got to hold a Python. I did not feel creeped out but they're not the cuddliest of things. I do think they are misunderstood creatures but with their beady eyes, wicked tongue and their sneaky nature I wouldn't want to encounter anymore personally.
2. The color red in Chinese culture usually means good luck. Do you believe in luck?
I've found this quite tricky to answer. I want to believe in luck and that people get lucky spontaneously (like winning the Lotto!). But generally I think we make our own luck. I don't believe that luck just happens to people. It occurs when people take risks or grab chances when opportunities are presented to them, even if they don't know the outcome. Although, in saying that I do know a few people who always happen to be in the right place at the right time and I think of how lucky they are.
3. Sledding-ice skating-building a snowman...if given a choice, which activity would you choose? Which of the three have you done most recently?
I would choose sledding! I think it's so much fun and when I have kids it will be a must do when it snows. I haven't built a snowman in years since this (picture below) one three years ago. I have tried Ice-Skating several times and useless at it. The last time I went I had a friend sever the top of fingers from another skater skating over the top of them when she fell over on the ice. So that's scarred me! I haven't done any of these recently though :(
4. Ralph Waldo Emerson is credited as saying, "The years teach much which the days never knew." Where have you seen this quote played out in your own life?
I have to say this plays out very significantly in my job. I work as a nurse on a day to day, shift to shift basis. There are days where I feel like I just plod along and other days where I feel like I am being challenged to my core. It isn't until I reflect on my (nearly) 3 years as a nurse that the years teach me so much more and show how far I have come. I have more qualifications, more experiences and much more knowledge.
5. When was the last time you ate a cupcake?
At Nicola's baby shower last March. They were yummy!
6. What's something you can't say no to?
One of my biggest downfalls is not being able to say 'no'. At work they'll ask me to do extra hours and without thinking I just say yes and then instantly regret it! I also can't say no to Chinese food, theatre trips, holidays and lay ins!
7. Are you a doodler?
I used to be the worlds worst doodler in university lectures. They weren't the most intellectually motivating at the best of times. So my notebooks were full of little pictures and sayings!
8. Insert your own random thought here.
I turn 24 this Friday 8th!!! Simon has the whole day planned. I love surprises! Plus, this weekend my older sister turns 30!!!! I made her a photo album of her 30 years - I sure hope she likes it!